Learning how to record a Teams meeting without permission can be difficult and time-consuming for some managers and supervisors who aren’t tech-savvy. That’s why we’ve created this guide on recording Teams meeting using different programs. Keep reading to find out which screen recorder will work best for you!
|Movavi Screen Recorder||Recording meetings without limitations; basic editing|
|Built-in Teams recording feature||Recording meetings in the same organization|
|Microsoft Teams for iOS and Android||Those who prefer using Microsoft Teams on mobile devices|
More programs Hide the table
Our special pick from the table above is Movavi Screen Recorder. With this screen recorder for a PC you can save a Teams meeting and keep the video for your personal records. The program will capture everything on the screen, including whiteboards and annotations. You can record a meeting even if you’re a guest, and other participants won’t get any notification about the meeting being recorded.
Built-in Teams recording feature
Movavi Screen Recorder
|Multiple output formats|
|Draw while recording|
|Annotations and keystrokes|
|Custom capture area|
|Record separate streams of audio/video|
View all features Hide the table
Who can record a Teams meeting?
So, who can record Teams meetings? There are some important factors to be aware of when it comes to Microsoft Teams recording. While all Teams meetings can be recorded not everyone will have the ability to do so. Teams must be set up by a company’s IT department which means you can’t record as a guest.
Meeting organizers can stop and start recordings. However, if you have an Office E1, E3, E5, and 365 Enterprise license you can also stop and start recordings if you are not the organizer of the Teams meeting.
If you want to do a Microsoft Teams recording, you must either be the meeting organizer or in the meeting and part of the same company. To record as a guest, you’ll need to use another program to record the screen while the meeting is being conducted. Take a look at the table below to find out who can do a Microsoft Teams meeting recording.
Can stop recording
|User from the same company|
|User from another company|
How to use the Microsoft Teams recording feature
As a manager or leader with a remote team, you must fully learn how to record a meeting in Teams. Fortunately, the MS Teams recording features are user-friendly and easy to find. To use Teams, you’ll need either an Office 365 Enterprise E1, E3, or E5 license.
Additionally, your Teams app must be set up by your IT department. Follow these steps to record a meeting on Windows or Mac desktop devices:
- To start recording in/on Teams you must either be part of a meeting or start one.
- When you’ve joined or started a meeting navigate to the top of the screen and click on the ellipses in the More Actions section.
- Click on the Start Recording button. Everyone in the meeting will receive a notification that the meeting is being recorded.
- To stop the recording click on the ellipses again and select Stop Recording.
It should be noted that the Teams meeting will continue to record even after the organizer has left. The recording will stop once everyone has left the meeting. If a user forgets to leave the meeting the recording will automatically stop in four hours.
How to record a Teams meeting secretly with Movavi Screen Recorder
There are other platforms that you can use to record your team meetings secretly with audio such as Movavi Screen Recorder. This platform is easy to set up and the interface provides an excellent user experience.
Unlike MS Teams, anyone can use Movavi Screen Recorder to record meetings if they have the program installed. This allows members to record the meeting without someone knowing and without notification. What’s more, there will be no expiration date on the videos you record through Movavi. And you can capture everything that is happening on the screen, including whiteboards, shared notes, and annotations.
Here is a guide on how to record your meetings using Movavi Screen Recorder:
- First, download Movavi Screen Recorder onto your device. Install the program by following the on-screen instructions.
- Adjust your recording parameters by navigating to the Preferences menu in the sidebar. You’ll find effects for your mouse and keyboard, control panel settings, and more.
- Click the Screen recording button and select the recording area.
- Activate the Webcam and Microphone if you want to record audio and video. You can activate video and audio on the main recording panel. Enable System audio to include audio from other members in the meeting.
- To start recording, simply click on the REC button. The video will start recording after three seconds.
- If you want to stop recording, simply click on the Stop button.
- You can save your recording by clicking on the Export button. Choose your preferred video format, such as MP4 or AVI.
- To save the video, click on the Save button.
How to record a meeting in Teams on Android and iOS
Some meeting members don’t have access to laptops. So, the only other devices they can use are their smartphones or tablets. Fortunately, you can learn how to record a Microsoft Teams meeting through iOS and Android in the step-by-step guide below:
- You’ll need the Teams app on your mobile device. If you don’t have it installed, you can download it from the Apple Store or Google Play Store depending on your operating system.
- Go into the app to start or join a meeting.
- To start recording go to the meeting controls and tap on the ellipses at the bottom of the screen. Then select Start Recording.
- If you want to stop the recording, navigate to the meeting controls and tap on the ellipses at the bottom of the screen. Then select Stop Recording.
- Once the recording has been stopped it will be saved to SharePoint or OneDrive depending on the type of meeting. Or it will be saved to your personal file folder if the meeting didn’t take place in a team.
How to record a Microsoft Teams meeting with a built-in feature on iOS
If you’re not part of the organization that’s hosting the team meeting but you’re part of it as a guest you may not be able to save, stop or start recording. Since you’re a guest you may have to use other means to record meetings.
Can you record a Teams meeting without installing any apps? Sure! You can achieve this through the built-in feature on iOS. With this feature, you can record the meeting without the other person knowing which allows you to keep your recordings private. This is because no links or notifications will be sent to the other members once the recording is finished.
Follow this guide to record the meeting with your iOS device:
- With iOS 14 or later navigate to your mobile device's Settings. Then tap on Control Center and select the Plus symbol next to the screen recording.
- Open Control Center on your iOS device. Then touch and hold the gray Record button and then tap the Microphone.
- Tap to start recording and then wait for the three-second countdown.
- If you want to stop recording, open Control Center and tap the red Record button.
- You can also tap the red status bar at the top of your screen to tap stop when you want to finish the recording.
How to make a Microsoft Teams meeting recording on Android
If you’re using an Android device and you’re a Team guest you won’t be able to stop, start or save the Microsoft Teams record meeting. Fortunately, you can get Mobizen on your Android device so you can record and save the meeting outside of the Teams app. Here’s how to achieve this:
- Download the Mobizen from the Google Play.
- The app places a recording widget on your screen called an aircircle. This aircircle is located on the right-hand side of your screen.
- Tap the Aircircle button so you can select the Record button.
- You can tap on the Aircircle button to pause or stop recording the screen.
- When you stop recording, the video will be saved.
- Click View Video on the pop-up screen that appears.
- You can edit and share your video by opening the Mobizen app and selecting your recording from the list of videos.
Now that you know how to record meetings in Microsoft Teams and the other platforms mentioned in this article, you’ll need to know where to find your recordings. In this section, we’ve provided extensive explanations of where you can find recordings for your Teams meetings.
You can find your Microsoft Teams meetings either in OneDrive or SharePoint when you use the platform on your desktop. But this will depend on the type of meeting you recorded. If it was a channel meeting, you can find the recording in SharePoint.
On the other hand, any other type of Teams meeting will be saved to OneDrive.
All members of the Teams meeting will receive a link to the recording on their channels. Clicking this link will either transfer members to OneDrive or SharePoint. When you click on the recording link, you will have the option of viewing or saving the video.
If you want to share the recording with someone who wasn’t a Teams member in the meeting, simply go to either SharePoint or OneDrive to find the video. Then click on Share Link and enter the details of the user you want to share the video with.
Teams for iOS and Android
Teams recordings on iOS and Android used to be saved to Streams. But as of August 2021, all Teams recordings through iOS and Android are stored on OneDrive or SharePoint. As the meeting organizer, you can access your recording either through SharePoint or OneDrive by clicking on these apps on your phone.
From there you can share the link, edit its expiration date, or delete it from your device. It should be noted that if you delete the link to the recording, your team members will no longer have access to the video.
iOS built-in screen recorder
To find your Teams meeting screen recording using the built-in iOS feature, simply go to your smartphone’s photo gallery. You will find your recording under videos. Here you can share your recording through other platforms such as email or WhatsApp.
Manage the expiration of a meeting recording
Microsoft Teams meetings expire because it can be a risk if these videos fall into the wrong hands. Members could share sensitive information in your meetings that must stay confidential. Some organizations find it inconvenient to delete recordings manually. Therefore, MS Teams allows you to automate the deletion of your recordings.
These recordings will have an expiration date on them, and team members will be notified when the recording will be deleted. If you want to edit the expiration date open the Details page either by clicking on the recording or selecting the info icon. On the other hand, you can find the recording on SharePoint or OneDrive and then click on Details.
On the Details page for your recording, you will find a drop-down menu and an option to change the expiration date on the video. If you want to keep the recordings indefinitely you can remove the expiration date completely.
Recording a Teams meeting is easy if you have the correct platform to perform the task. To assist you, here are pointers on how to choose the right method to record your Teams meetings:
- Ease of use: Ensure the method you choose is easy. Sometimes meetings start immediately so you’ll need a convenient way to start recording as soon as the meeting starts. Your recording button should be easy to access.
- Quality: The quality of your recordings is crucial especially if you want to watch the meetings again. If graphs or images are shown in the meeting, you’ll want a recorder that can clearly capture all the details in the video.
- Features: Screen recorders should have basic features such as a record, pause, stop and save button. They shouldn’t be too complicated to use especially if you’re using the features while recording the video. You also want to choose a screen recorder that has editing features so you can remove noise or add captions and images to your videos.
- Privacy: You want your videos to be secure so that they’re only shared with the members of the meeting. If you’re recording privately make sure your recordings can be saved to a secure folder on your device.
- Saving methods: Can I choose an output format? Some screen recorders such as Movavi Screen Recorder allow you to save videos in different formats, such as MP4 or 4K. Additionally, make sure the recording method you choose allows you to save your videos in a file that you can access easily.
Frequently asked questions
Why can't I record a Teams meeting?
There are some problems that may occur such as a missing record button or a recording link that isn’t visible. To record Teams meetings, you must have the correct license and meeting policies as well as a supported storage location such as OneDrive or SharePoint.
Can anyone record a Microsoft Teams meeting?
Not everyone can record a Microsoft Teams meeting. To record a meeting, you must have Office 365 Enterprise E1, E3, E5, F3, A1, A3, A5, M365 Business, Business Premium, or Business Essentials. Additionally, you must be the meeting organizer or a member of the same company. You must also have recording enabled by your IT Department.
Where are Microsoft Teams recordings stored?
When you record a Teams meeting with a built-in recording feature, the location for storing recordings will depend on the type of meeting. Channel meetings are saved in SharePoint. Recordings of non-channel meetings are stored in OneDrive. Learn more about the location for Microsoft Teams recordings in this article:
Can you record a Teams meeting as a guest?
No, you can’t record a Teams meeting using a built-in recording feature if you participate as a guest. To record a Microsoft Teams call as a guest without showing it to participants, you’ll have to use third-party screen-recording software – for example, try Movavi Screen Recorder.
What can I record using a built-in Microsoft Teams recording feature?
With a Microsoft Teams built-in recording tool, you can capture a Teams meeting, but some elements won’t be recorded. Recordings won’t include shared notes, whiteboards, annotations, as well as videos or animations in PowerPoint Live presentations. To record everything that appears on the screen, try Movavi Screen Recorder.
How do you record a Teams meeting secretly?
It's easy to record a Teams meeting without anyone knowing using Movavi Screen Recorder. Follow these steps:
- Wait for the meeting to start
- Click the Screen recording button and select the recording area.
- Activate Microphone, System Audio, and Webcam.
- Click the REC button.
- Click Export and save your file in any format of your choosing. You’ll then have a recording of your Teams meeting for your own records.
Sign up for news and special offers